The Ewood Centre is a Nurture Group based in a large multi-purpose classroom within Todmorden High School.
It provides a safe base with a relaxed atmosphere where identified students can come for planned sessions and drop-in support at social times.
The Ewood Centre aims to help students feel confident, understood, welcome, relaxed, happy, inspired and valued.
What are our Aims ?
- To build confidence and self – esteem.
- To build relationships with peers in their classroom.
- To create a safe environment for ourselves and others.
- To show our emotions in an acceptable manner.
- To understand we are responsible for our own behaviour.
- To understand we all make mistakes and it is ok to do so.
- To develop good listening and social skills.
- To enhance life skills.
- To keep on trying, having a go and doing our best.
- To celebrate our achievements.
Why and How will we do this ?
In Feelings Time
- To be more aware of how we feel and how others may feel.
- To feel free to express our opinions to talk openly to the group.
- To learn to listen to others and respond at the appropriate time.
In Shared Eating
- Learning to share our snacks, offering them to others before ourselves.
- Using good table manners.
- Showing good organisational skills by preparing and clearing away.
- Sampling foods we have never tried before.
- Feeling confident during social chats and sharing news around the table.
In Activity Time
- To co-operate with each other, to share, to take turns and learn to wait.
- To make friends and socialize through various activities such as role play, baking and problem solving.
- To incorporate the curriculum within our activities such as English, Maths, and Technology.
- To set ourselves goals and recognise our achievements.