Todmorden Sports Centre held the Todmorden Swimming Gala on Saturday 18th November. Our Todmorden High School student Sofia, won five of her races in individual medley, breaststroke, front crawl, backstroke and butterfly. Sofia set new records in three races becoming the fastest ever 11-12 year old girl in Todmorden at breast stroke, front crawl and backstroke. Thank you so much for your stories of individual and group talent- please keep them coming into school at email@example.com.
We caught up with Sofia to ask her about her experience in this splashy sport!
1. When did you start swimming? I have been swimming for as long as I can remember and my dad has been really supportive. I did my first length when I was 3.
2. Are you a member of a swimming club? Yes. I used to be a member of Aquabears but I dropped out. I am thinking of going back at the moment. Currently I am part of Todmorden swimming club. I teach there as well.
3. How often do you go swimming? I have lessons twice a week and teach on Fridays, I used to go 7 times a week.
4. Which is your favourite swimming stroke? Frontcrawl because that is one of my fastest. I also like the I.M. that is all of them. It has an order of butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and then front crawl.
5. How do you feel knowing you are the fastest ever 11/12 year old girl in Todmorden? I feel so proud of myself and I thank people who have supported me. I also hold the records for age of 7-10.
6. How many other competitions have you entered? I entered numerous competitions swimming at Blackpool, Sheffield and a lot more. I was once ranked in the top 10 in Britain for my age at 50m breaststroke.
7. Would you like to take PE as a GCSE and maybe teach others in the future? Yes, definitely as I already help my dad to teach swimming and I love it!
Congratulations to Sofia, we wish you all the best for your future in swimming!